Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Can A Peach be a Blessing?


Peach
Originally uploaded by Quem é o Pêra?

"Life is better than death, I believe, if only that it is less boring, and because it has fresh peaches in it." ~Alice Walker

I woke up this morning feeling real funky. Made a mistake the night before. I went to sleep without praying and reading my motivational book. A big set up I admit that. The devil fed on my worries all through the night. Without my foundation I worried in my sleep about things that I know full well are out of my hands.

Tired and moving slow I went about the next day for about four hours when I remembered a support group message I received years ago, "I can start my day all over again at any time." So first I prayed and then I went through one of my favorite empowerment books, "Ebony Power Thoughts" and found the above quote by Alice Walker. The question that followed the quote was: What are some of the greatest gifts in my life right now?

I then thought peaches must be real special to Alice Walker for her to include them in her message about life and death. So I thought, "I love peaches so let me start there." See sometimes you have to let someone feed you some information when you are down and need a jump start. There are times when you have to keep it real simple to get back on track.  You know one step at a time or one minute at a time.  I would never have thought about the simple joy I get out of eating a juicy peach lifting my spirits. Or how the smile I get on my face when I try to keep the tasty juice from spilling on my clothes. To tell you the truth I am not a neat freak I just want to savor every morsel for my tongue where taste buds are having a field day.

By the time I finished thinking about how simple an act of eating a peach could provide such pleasure by God's grace to someone who may not have anything else to hold onto on a low spirited day;  I knew I needed to make my gratitude list. Grateful for the peaches in my life that God has blessed me with.

So I ask you this:

1) When the going gets tough what gets you going?
2) Whats on your gratitude list? Have you included the small joys of life?

While you are thinking about it I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter to the right of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment